On July 18, during the Green Legacy 2022 Annual Tree Planting Day in Ethiopia we planted 57.000 trees on the Worja Hill in Ziway/Batu and at Berta site in Koka. This brings the total amount of planted trees starting from 2017 close to 1 million. In the project that aims to ensure sustainable protection and wise utilization of the Worja catchment, Sher, IDH and VoCDA collaborate and strive to fight deforestation and climate change by:
- Reforesting area’s and developing eco-tourism (approx. 285 ha of communal land)
- rehabilitating degraded land by digging gully’s and building stone gabions
- sowing grass seeds for cut and carry fodder use
- setting up income generating activity groups (f.i. beekeeping)
- teaching and implementing Good Agricultural Practices, f.i. using improved cereal seeds by local farmers
The final goal is to have a community managed and owned conservation site.
We thank our employees and all volunteers that have helped to plant 9 different species of indigenous trees.